Find Me...

Contact Twitter Goodreads Pinterest Facebook Rss Feed

Ratings

My Ratings Guide

Archives

Blog Archive

Powered by Blogger.
Saturday 27 April 2013

Let's Talk #3

Let's Talk is a weekly meme I'm trialling as I love the discussion topics! Hosted by KT at A Book Obsession and Smash at Smash Attack Reads. It's main purpose is to help everyone get to know each other better. To suggest topics click here. To view the schedule for future topic discussions and to read more info regarding the meme please click here or the event button. 

This week's question:-

Do you accept review requests? If not, why? If so, then how many review requests do you get in a month? How many do you accept? How do you balance between review requests and reading your own books? Have you ever gone out of your way to reduce your incoming review books? With so many reviews books being offered (solicited or not) to book bloggers, have you ever emailed a publicist to reduce the number of books sent? Do you ever feel guilty over receiving these review books that you know you won’t be able to get to knowing other book bloggers could benefit from them? How do you deal?

Do you accept review requests?  

Yes

If so, then how many review requests do you get in a month? 

I'm a fairly new blogger so I don't get a huge deal of review requests to be honest. 

How many do you accept? 

There are just so many books from both Publishers, Tours, Netgalley and my personal TBR pile that I just don't want to overload myself, which I do already LOL so I only really accept requests when I know I'll like the book or I'm most likely going to like it. 

However, having said that, I do have issues with signing up for tours. Initially being a new blogger I really wanted to be part of these tours as there are so many fantastic books on tours, but I've slowed that down. I've signed up for heaps but you'll see through from next month onwards my calendar isn't so tour filled as I've got so many more content planned for my blog, but it's just hard with so many great sounding books.

How do you balance between review books and reading your own books? 

I haven't done a great job to be honest. When I first started blogging and the request, Netgalley and tours have come up I've committed to those more which in turn has made me really slack off on my actual pile. I'm now trying to figure out a better schedule/routine. From now on I'm going to schedule x amount of tours/month and if I've already signed up for that many then tough luck. I'm just not happy with the time I've got to read my own books, so I'll be looking at the answers to this question as I need help in this department :D 

Have you ever gone out of your way to reduce your incoming review books?

I have recently. I'm now being more selective on the tours that I request to join. I'm also banning myself and trying not to visit Netgalley so I don't get tempted to request books. 

With so many reviews books being offered (solicited or not) to book bloggers, have you ever emailed a publicist to reduce the number of books sent?

I can't say I've been that popular yet LOL 

Do you ever feel guilty over receiving these review books that you know you won’t be able to get to knowing other book bloggers could benefit from them?

Yes definitely, so when I get review books I commit to review them, no matter what. 

5 comments:

robgirlbooks said...

I hope you get to have a marathon of personal reading sometime soon! I don't typically accept requests for reviews. I'm a library girl, so I go by my due dates. Also I'm not good with pressure when it comes to reading. I would like to do a tour however and I love interviewing authors. We'll see if I ever venture into review requests for my blog.

Smash Attack Ash said...

It's so hard to stay away from NetGalley and Edelweiss. I refuse to log on. I just get myself in a head of trouble. I'm glad that you stick to the reviews you take on. I may have struggled with that in the past. :/

Vegan YA Nerds said...

Good answers! I've had to turn down most requests lately because I'm just too behind with review books :)

Anonymous said...

I have a self-imposed schedule because I'm quite a busy person and I am afraid I won't have time to read to a deadline if I get involved in a bunch of tours. I would like to participate, but it would have to be a book I'm going crazy over. The only problem is that I tend to learn about them too late. But that's OK, because I have lots of my own books waiting to be read.

Holly Letson said...

Do you accept review requests?
If the book is something I think I would like to read, yes. Otherwise, I would feel bad about wasting the author's time.

If not, why?
If it were a book I would not want to read, I wouldn't. That would be wasting the time of both me and the author.



If so, then how many review requests do you get in a month?
I rarely receive review requests. I think only 3 authors have ever asked me.
But, I tend to request several from VIZ Media, whenever they add new mangas to Edelweiss.

How many do you accept?
If some of the manga companies would ask me, I would probably accept them all. Here's looking at ya, Kodansha Comics, Yen Press, June Manga, DMP, and Dark Horse.
Otherwise, as I previously stated, I'd be glad to accept some for books that look/sound like ones I would enjoy.

How do you balance between review requests and reading your own books?
Balance...does anyone ever really have it when it comes to this? I have lots at home that I need to read. But, I still like to be helpful. I fit reviews in when I can.

Have you ever gone out of your way to reduce your incoming review books?
I would love to be at a point where this worried me. But, presently, companies are not sending me books/mangas, so what I mostly have to deal with is how many VIZ mangas I have requested. Yes, I have taken full days to just read those mangas. But, I do enjoy it so much.

With so many reviews books being offered (solicited or not) to book bloggers, have you ever emailed a publicist to reduce the number of books sent?
Oh no, I haven't. I've even been to shy to note publishers to send me books in the first place. I keep feeling like they would just turn me down.


Do you ever feel guilty over receiving these review books that you know you won’t be able to get to knowing other book bloggers could benefit from them?
If you mean from NetGalley, not so much. I try to get to the books I request. If I can't, I am sorry.

How do you deal?
Just like every other book blogger, I keep adding to my personal collection at home. I get to some books bought right after buying, but others take months to get to. But, I still enjoy passing my shelves and seeing my pretties all lined up in rows and stacks, and knowing that I can (eventually) get to read them.

Search

Follow Me

Follow on Bloglovin
Button for Paperback Princess

© Paperback Princess | Blog Design by Sarah Bryan | Digital Scrapbooking kits used: Once Upon a Time by Indigo Designs and Enchanted Neighborhood by Irene Alexeeva.